Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Was Tagged!

I got tagged by Christine Taylor. It didn't hurt, no worries. But I'm supposed to answer questions about myself. Normally, when I get these award/game thingies I turn into a big smart ass and post things about myself that is all made up and from the fictional characters we love, (Stylin' and Profilin' and  Look Shiny! Secrets revealed )but just to play nice here are my answers.

1.    What do you eat when you write? What don’t I eat—ever? I’m game for anything.
2.    What do you do when you experience despair and crippling doubt? Wow, if I didn’t feel despair before, I do now. Am I supposed to be crippled with doubt? That doesn’t sound good. I am my worst critic. I will always think my stuff stinks, but that doesn’t stop me from clicking and clacking away at the keyboard.
3.    How did you find your first critique partner, or what are you looking for in a future CP? Back when I was a closeted writer, another friend of mine mentioned she was writing a novel, soon we exchanged our crap and found other writers from there. We didn’t match well for writing. I am far too honest and she is far too nice, so it didn’t work out, more so for her. I can be brutal, but it's all because of love and passion. I'm the most brutal on the people I care about. Kinda like spinach in the teeth--gotta tell 'em something nasty is in their choppers, right? As far as what I look for in a CP:  I think it is important to be honest and brutal, but fair. I expect my feelings to be hurt and I expect to get better; it's the circle of life without the Hyena that has a Whoopi voice.
4.    What is your biggest distraction when you write? My kids, husband, cats, squirrels, rainbows, sunshine. You name it. I am easily distracted and . . . I forgot what we were talking about.
5.    What character in your writing are you most proud of development wise? Why? I like a piece of each of them, I’m not sure if I like one more than the other because I sort of move on to the new characters I’m working on. I love the father of my second novel, because I had a crappy one and good dads are hard to come by. Atticus Finch syndrome or something. 
6.    What is the worst thing you’ve ever written? Ugh! My first novel was crap, embarrassing crap, but I reworked it and have had some great praise, a couple contest wins, but I still see such huge flaws.
7.    Do you talk to yourself, get up, act things out, or make faces when you’re writing? I read my stuff aloud to make sure it flows. My husband makes fun of me all the time because he thinks I’m talking to myself.
8.    Where do you go for inspiration? Other books, movies, a long shower, a drive in the country, my car at lunchtime. Anywhere where I have a moment to just be and let the voices tell me what’s up.
9.    What is the hardest part about writing for you? Writing is a huge sacrifice to family. We are so consumed by it that’s all we want to do. I say, we, because I’ve seen it over and over. It is really hard to balance life and writing. My kids miss out of me because, rather than living in the real world, all I want to do is play in imaginary ones.
10.  If I were a world famous author what advice would I give new writers? Hmmm. . . Don’t ever let anyone tell you how you should write, what I mean is yes, there are rules, but getting wrapped up in them takes away from the creative unique way you tell a story. If you want an adverb, write it. Don’t be afraid to break the rules, but in order to write well you need to know the rules just so you can break them. (That makes sense in my head)
11.  Have you ever had ketchup chips? Nope, but I like the dill pickle kind.

So, I’m supposed to tag people now. If that doesn’t involve running, then maybe I’ll participate. Unless you’d like to make my life a lot easier and pick one question on here and answer it in my comment box. Help a girl out. Oh, and can you hand me the remote, while you're up.

4 comments:

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Well done for answering those questions - interesting to read a bit more. It gets difficult thinking up answers to these sometimes or giving even more facts about our lives. I copped out last time and just gave some favourites!

Su said...

You crack me up! Hey, we're in the same campaign group. Have a great weekend!

(How's that for three unrelated thoughts thrown together?)

Jenn said...

Great answers. I find inspiration everywhere, and while I'm writing it can get very tricky. I have to be careful to not read or watch TV that I think could trigger a new idea. I have the hardest time sticking to projects and not being temped by the new and shiny. :)

Melissa Sugar said...

I loved reading your answers. I don't think you are going to be very happy, but I am here to tell you that I have tagged you as well. I am a new follower from the 4th Platform Building Campaign.

http://fictiontoolbox.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged.html