Saturday, February 5, 2011

Children's Book Review: The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn


Many blogs review adult fiction and nonfiction, but I have many friends who are busy moms with no time to read the big stuff. Their literary adventures come in the smaller variety, in children's books. So here is one of our favorites.

It's time for Chester Raccoon to go to school, but the only place he wants to be is with his mom.

Mrs. Raccoon tries to ease her little one's worries by reminding him of all the fun things he'll be able to do, but Chester's tears simply wouldn't ebb. That is, until Mrs. Raccoon shared the secret of the kissing hand. She spread his fingers into a fan and kissed her little raccoon in the middle of his palm and told him that "whenever you feel lonely and need a little loving from hom, just press your hand to your cheek and think, 'Mommy loves. Mommy loves you.' And that very kiss will jump to your face and fill you with toasty warm thoughts."

I will never forget the first time I read Chester's story to my daughter and the expression on her face--warmth and happiness with an eyeful of tears. And despite the emotions that roll through my little one as she listens, she always requests for a second read.

My daughter gives this book: 1 star, 1 cheerio, 1 bubblegum, and an old crumpled up snowflake.  (I asked her how she rated it and that's what she said. Whatever all that means.) 
I give it five stars. *****

No comments: